Building the "Internet Of Things"
In the coming years the Internet will move from connecting people to connecting things. In a new report entitled “Machine to Machine (M2M) communication: Connecting billions of devices”, the OECD analyses the impact of this phenomenon. The report
- finds new sources of growth
- identifies significant barriers to the functioning of the market
- proposes liberalisation to further open the mobile telecom market, to enable new entrants that may be transport, energy and healthcare companies, not telecom providers
- argues to support trade and travel for manufacturers and service providers in providing these services across borders,
- argues that removing barriers will result in billions in direct and indirect savings on mobile connectivity, and
- additional billions in new revenue from new services.