Global Freight Data Show Trade Slowing Down
The latest update of global freight data collected by the International Transport Forum at the OECD shows global trade volumes are slowing down:
- USA and EU27 external trade, measured in tonnes of goods moved, remain stagnant and indicate further decline since the previous quarter;
- EU27 imports by air fall below pre-crisis levels for the first time since Q1/2010, suggesting weakening domestic demand;
- Trade by value shows a more mixed picture;
- China’s external trade, by value, remains flat;
- Road and rail freight decline in the EU area, further indicating weak domestic performance.