Walking and Cycling
21 December 2018
- Management commitment to establishing safety policies and objectives
- Inclusion of explicit safety (non-punitive) reporting procedures
- Safety performance monitoring and measurement
- Identification of accountable management employees
- Appointment of key safety personnel responsible for safety oversight and promotion
- Implementation of a risk management process to identify hazards and associated risks
- Safety training at management and employee levels
20 November 2018
- Develop mobility observatories in cities.
- Collect traffic casualty data from hospitals, not only from police records.
- Adopt ambitious targets to reduce the number of casualties.
- Focus on protecting vulnerable road users.
- Use appropriate indicators to measure the safety of vulnerable road users in cities.
- Estimate daytime population to improve the comparability of traffic safety statistics.
- Prioritise research on urban road crashes.
11 October 2018
10 October 2018
- Make demand management and congestion reduction the primary objective of road pricing.
- Differentiate road pricing by location and time.
- Combine road pricing and public transport planning to improve efficiency.
- Examine the combined effects of scheme design and mitigation to understand distributional impacts.
- Consider the use of discounts and exemptions carefully.
- Develop road pricing as part of an intervention package to achieve better utilisation of urban space.
- Reconcile economic, practical and political aspects in the design of road pricing schemes.
- Differentiate charges and consider adopting a rules-based pricing approach.
24 September 2018
25 July 2018
10 July 2018
2 July 2018
22 May 2018
- Reinforce the Safe System approach to ensure automated vehicles are used safely.
- Apply Vision Zero thinking to automated driving.
- Avoid safety performance being used to market competing automated vehicles.
- Carefully assess the safety impacts of systems that share driving tasks between humans and machines.
- Require reporting of safety-relevant data from automated vehicles.
- Develop and use a staged testing regime for automated vehicles.
- Establish comprehensive cybersecurity principles for automated driving.
- Ensure the functional isolation of safety-critical systems and that connectivity does not compromise cybersecurity or safety.
- Provide clear and targeted messaging of vehicle capabilities.
28 March 2018
- Reduce the speed on roads as well as speed differences between vehicles.
- Set speed limits according to Safe System principles.
- Improve infrastructure and enforcement if speed limits are to be increased.
- Use automatic speed control to reduce speed effectively.
7 February 2018
- Review how data on alcohol-related road crashes is collected.
- Aim for a systematic alcohol testing of every road user actively involved in a serious crash.
- Use statistical analysis methods to better estimate the number of alcohol-related road fatalities.
- Harmonise definitions of alcohol-related road casualties.
- Conduct future research on how to measure alcohol-related road crashes involving pedestrians and cyclists.