23 May 2018
- Establish a system of street designations according to their primary purpose.
- Anticipate and plan for the revenue impacts of shifting curb use from car parking to passenger pick up and drop off.
- Make room for ride services at the curb where this fits strategic priorities.
- Build on or create adjudication bodies to manage diverse demand for curb space in flexible ways and ultimately in real time.
- Help develop common standards for encoding information about curb use.
- Rethink streets and their curbs as flexible, self-adjusting spaces and plan accordingly.
- Manage curb space dynamically so it adapts to different uses and users.
- Establish effective tracking and monitoring of overall transport activity, including ride services.
22 May 2018
- Reinforce the Safe System approach to ensure automated vehicles are used safely.
- Apply Vision Zero thinking to automated driving.
- Avoid safety performance being used to market competing automated vehicles.
- Carefully assess the safety impacts of systems that share driving tasks between humans and machines.
- Require reporting of safety-relevant data from automated vehicles.
- Develop and use a staged testing regime for automated vehicles.
- Establish comprehensive cybersecurity principles for automated driving.
- Ensure the functional isolation of safety-critical systems and that connectivity does not compromise cybersecurity or safety.
- Provide clear and targeted messaging of vehicle capabilities.
2 May 2018
- Shared mobility is still a relatively new field but is progressing rapidly. With business models and preferred technologies still in flux, policy makers need to prepare considered responses to these developments without delay.
- Service concepts and technology currently and on the brink of being explored need to consider a range of design domain restrictions, dependencies on infrastructure, operating principles and user interfaces.
- Specific service concepts should be matched to specific operational environments, on a detailed local level as well as across continents and cultures.
- Government action will affect how automated vehicles will impact society. Existing approaches will not be appropriate for long. Their understanding and input will help to balance the debate on whether AVs can indeed alleviate a series of stubborn problems.