Safer City Streets
Safer City Streets is the global traffic safety network for liveable cities. In the network, cities improve their urban road safety performance by sharing data, experiences and knowledge – by learning from each other. Since the official launch of the project at the UN conference Habitat III in 2016, more than 40 cities have joined Safer City Streets. The network is managed by the International Transport Forum (ITF), which collects, validates and analyses relevant data from cities in a dedicated database.
Every minute, a person dies in city traffic. Among people killed on city streets, 8 out of 10 are pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable road users. Where streets are seen as dangerous, efforts to promote walking and cycling are undermined. Reducing the risks of urban traffic thus not only saves lives: it unlocks sustainable forms of transport which reduce pollution, cut emissions, fight congestion and improve the physical and mental health of citizens – in short, safer streets are a key to make a city more liveable.
Member cities have access to policy-relevant data, a network of experts, targeted analyses and a global road safety benchmark. Safer City Streets is modelled on the global road safety network of countries hosted by the ITF, which has run for more than 25 years, and which is known as the International Traffic Safety Data and Analysis Group (IRTAD). The IRTAD Group has been hailed by the World Health Organization as “a model of a multi-country effort” and its crash data as “simply the best in the world” by Global NCAP, the car assessment programme.
New cities are welcome. To express your interest and learn more, please contact Alexandre Santacreu
Project-related activities and outputs include:
- April 2017 – 1st meeting in Paris
- December 2017 – 2nd meeting in Brussels
- April 2018 – 3rd meeting in Rome
- May 2018 – Safer City Streets is one of the highlights of the ITF Annual Summit of Transport Ministers
- November 2018 – 4th meeting in London and Manchester
- November 2018 – publication of an ITF working document Safer City Streets: Global Benchmarking for Urban Road Safety comparing road safety indicators across cities
- 2019 – publication of a chapter on urban road safety indicators as part of an EU-funded project called Access and Safety in European Cities
- 2019 – 5th and 6th meetings anticipated in Lisbon and Buenos Aires