Carbon Pricing in Shipping
This report reviews the effectiveness of carbon pricing, how it might be applied to the shipping sector and with what effects. It also evaluates recent proposals by countries to introduce a price on shipping's carbon emissions and examines related policy issues.
This report is part of the ITF Decarbonising Transport: Driving Implementation Actions project.
- Introduce carbon pricing in shipping as part of a broader set of decarbonisation measures.
- Consider designing a carbon pricing mechanism for maritime shipping as a "feebate" system.
- Complement carbon pricing with a technical design requirement and a low-emission fuel standard.
- Use carbon pricing revenues from maritime shipping to facilitate an equitable transition to zero emissions.
- Make sure that these pricing schemes and standards cover well-to-wake emissions.