Making Automated Vehicles Work for Better Transport Services: Regulating for Impact
This report explores how mobility services using automated vehicles might change the transport landscape. How can automated transport services help enable positive outcomes for societies? How will they ensure passenger safety? What rules should apply to such new services that overlap with other, heavily regulated services like taxis and public transport? The report assesses where regulation should adapt and outlines principles for forward-looking regulation. It offers pragmatic recommendations to bring in better transport for citizens.
- Recognise new legal actors and responsibilities as part of the introduction of automated transport services.
- Extend the Safe System approach to automated vehicles.
- Invest in supporting infrastructure for AV-based transport services.
- Plan a long-term pathway for the transition towards AV-based transport services.
- Co-ordinate the roles of each level of government in regulating AV-based transport services.
- Share data to ensure integrated transport services but protect passenger data against misuse.