Water Transport Employment in Europe: The Role of Governance
This report assesses the current state of water transport employment in Europe and links it to water transport governance. Authorities generally consider the skillset required by employees in water transport strategically important. However, evolving governance frameworks might have undermined the possibility of maintaining these skills in Europe. This report assesses incoherence in government policies and provides recommendations for reform to ensure the relevant skills needed in water transport can be maintained.
- Ensure European maritime policies support the development of seafarers’ skills.
- Improve employment statistics for water transport employment in Europe.
- Make sure that there is a “genuine link” between state and ship in shipping registries.
- Link state aid for the maritime sector more directly to employment-related objectives.
- Limit the eligibility for state aid of ships registered in second shipping registers.