Future Maritime Trade Flows
Summary and Conclusions
This report reviews possible determinants of global maritime goods transport over the coming decades. It addresses the uncertainties that surround the future of maritime trade flows such as the development of demand, the costs of environmental regulation, maritime business strategies, the Belt and Road Initiative, and Arctic shipping. The report summarises discussions of an ITF Roundtable held in Paris, France in April 2019.
- Ensure strategic planning for port development accounts for the key drivers of trade.
- Support policy for decarbonisation of maritime transport with carbon pricing.
- Prevent aid to maritime shipping from eroding competition in maritime logistics services.
- Improve maritime logistics via new performance metrics.
- Guarantee open standards when digitalising maritime logistics.
- Fine-tune maritime transport modelling.