Towards the Light: Effective Light Mobility Policies in Cities
This report explores how traffic systems and infrastructure can be redesigned and expanded for a broader range of vehicle types, especially “smaller-than-car” or light mobility options. It identifies the potential benefits of making vehicles lighter and diversifying the range of vehicles used for everyday mobility. It also highlights successful policies for encouraging a shift towards urban light mobility in cities. Finally, it presents strategies for implementing frameworks for such policies and highlights measures decision makers should consider as part of their light mobility strategy.
This report presents research from the ITF Mobility Innovation Hub
- Seize the day! Take advantage of windows of opportunity to enact changes and set new goals.
- Line up! Align policies for promoting light mobility at the national, regional and local levels.
- Measure up! Assess potential interventions in support of light mobility and monitor and evaluate
- implemented policies to demonstrate impact.
- Get going! Improve walking conditions and local connectivity for improved access to opportunities.
- Go faster! Develop high-quality light mobility infrastructure for safe interactions with other traffic.
- Go further! Integrate collective transport, pedestrian spaces and light mobility infrastructure.
- Bring everyone along! Use communication campaigns and education programmes to inspire a change in attitudes and mobility behaviour.